In case you were wondering about the final tally from last month’s Meatout 2015, the annual veg event was a huge success.
The global pledge to go vegan for 24 hours saved lives, resources and helped introduce thousands of people to a cruelty-free lifestyle. It was covered by TIME magazine, Philly.com and countless other major publications and media outlets, and definitely made its way to the mainstream.
Here are the numbers, according to FARM’s (Farm Animal Rights Movement) report on the day-long campaign:
- 2,686 people took the Meatout 2015 pledge in 96 countries
- 9,938,200 gallons of water were saved
- 397,528 square feet of rainforest were preserved
- 1,343 farmed animals were saved
- More than 350 events were held in more than 10 countries around the world
All in all, this year’s pledge was a resounding triumph. Every year, more and more people are made aware of the benefits of a vegan lifestyle, and Meatout 2015 might have been the most impactful yet.