Trader Joe’s Vegan Marshmallows Now in Stores

trader-joes-vegan-marshmallowsMarshmallows are so white, so fluffy, so seemingly innocent. Sadly, traditional marshmallows are anything but, considered they’re made with gelatin — an insidious substance composed of animal by-products.

But in excellent news for s’mores lovers (and animals), Trader Joe’s vegan marshmallows are now available in stores. With 457 outposts of the popular chain nationwide, this will introduce a cruelty-free ‘mallow option to millions of Americans.

The white treats are labeled vegan and gluten-free. (The vegan designation is listed on the back, so many omnivore consumers probably won’t realize they’re any different from standard marshmallows.)

While there are several awesome companies already producing vegan marshmallows — Sweet & Sara and Dandies — they’re generally only available at specialty stores — and they’re a little pricier. TJ’s taking them on means they’ll become accessible to even more people, helping to normalize a vegan version of this classic sweet.

The new product joins dozens of other tasty vegan items on TJ’s shelves, including vegan cream cheese, speculoos cookies, beefless ground beef, soy creamy mini vanilla sandwiches, chickenless Mandarin orange, pad Thai noodles, nacho kale chips, and lots more.

(For those who want to make s’mores this summer, the ‘mallows will pair perfectly with TJ’s (vegan) dark chocolate pound plus bar, and Nabisco Grahams, which are accidentally vegan.)

At most locations, the marshmallows are $2.99 (though prices may vary slightly). A steal.

Follow Latest Vegan News on Facebook, on Twitter @LatestVeganNews, and Google+ , and sign up to receive our daily headlines in your inbox here.

Hannah Sentenac, Editor-in-Chief

Hannah Sentenac, Editor-in-Chief

A wizard of words, lover of all living things and vegan mac 'n cheese master, Hannah is the Editor-In-Chief and Founder of LatestVeganNews.com. Her writing has appeared in Live Happy magazine, the Miami New Times, OneGreenPlanet.com, MindBodyGreen.com, and numerous other publications and websites. She's obsessed with Cocowhip, Just Mayo and Dandies marshmallows, and is totally addicted to the outdoors. You can reach Hannah directly at hannah.sentenac@gmail.com.

20 Responses

1. Anonymous Pseudonym says:

Trader Joe’s is awesome for vegans.

2. Catherine says:

Will these be in Walmart stores?

• Kyle says:

No. Think about your questions before you ask them.

• Amber says:

Not everyone lives in areas with Trader Joe’s stores. This article is worded in a way that one might interpret the store’s name as the brand name. Don’t be a dick.

• Susie says:

If Amber doesn’t live where Trader Joe’s are known, then she surely could have thought that Trader Joe’s is a BRAND name for a whole line of food products. So I completely understood why she asked her question, and wouldn’t it be SO effing cool of Trader Joe’s COULD extend its line into other stores nationwide?! I can dream…

Anyway, Amber, sorry that you’re without. I haven’t yet tried these marshmallows, but am also “blessed” (?) with having a Whole Foods Market (all bet they truly EXPENSIVE), and they carry a different brand of vegan marshmallows.

It can sometimes be difficult living our vegan lifestyle, but at least there’s more and more crossing-over of products that, even boycotted places like Walmart are “giving in” and carrying “OUR” kinds of food and such.

Sprouts may get on the bandwagon with their own brand of vegan marshmallows, too, so keep your fingers crossed, Amber!

• Shauna says:

Since when have Trader Joe’s products been sold anywhere but Trader Joe’s stores? Come on now.

3. Vegas Vegan says:

Wonder if this is the off-label product from Dandies? I’ll have to buy a bag to compare.

• I wondered about that too. But after trying them I don’t think so. They are softer and flufier than Dandies. But the package I got could have been more fresh, so I’ll have to do lots of comparison eating. 😛

4. Adria says:

I’m so excited! Now I can have marshmallow treats more often. Wait, is that a good thing?? Love Trader’s!!

5. Aviva Cohen says:

They’re kosher too!!

6. Gerald Pelrine says:

No high fructose corn syrup?

7. Marko Vegano Madrazo says:

When will you come to Corpus Christi, Tx

8. Susie says:

Boy oh boy, THIS was a happy surprise to just learn! I love Dandies, but they’re very costly.

Vegas Vegan and Michelle Franck both cracked me up, especially with doing the comparison tasting-tests. I’m in for THAT, to be sure! I’m thinking that Dandies may, in fact, be the name behind Trader Joe’s marshmallows, but there are differences, as with their Trader Joe’s vegan cream cheese, which I’d always been reassured was really Tofutti — but the color, texture and, yes, even the taste, are different.

9. Laura says:

These are so good. Very soft and the flavor has just a hint of vanilla. I’m so happy their vegan. It’s been years since I’ve eaten a marshmellow and I can’t wait until I can make a batch of Rice Krispies Treats. You can’t beat the price. Don’t wait and let these pass you by.

10. Alex says:

I love these, but they aren’t available in the UK yet so they’re confined to a holiday treat.

11. Jacqueline says:

Can no longer find them in stores. I hope this isn’t permanent?

12. Michele says:

I was told that they may be seasonal (back last summer), so I bought no telling how many at the time…….so I assume, seasonal as in the summer which is sad when we need such wonderful delights year round…….maybe we could email trader joes and beg? 🙂

1. September 12, 2016

[…] Foods) and Amy’s Kitchen frozen dinners (over half of all products are vegan), to marshmallows at Trader Joes  , vegan-friendly menus at many restaurants nowadays, even Taco Bell  So should YOU go vegan? And […]