What is the Best Bamboo Toothbrush? Top Wooden Biodegradable Toothbrushes for 2019
Bamboo toothbrushes have experienced an uptick in sales in recent years, as many people have started to replace their traditional body and beauty products for ones that are more sustainable and don’t contain any plastic. While switching out your plastic toothbrush for a bamboo one might not be the first eco-friendly choice that would come to your mind, it’s one of the decisions that can have the biggest impact. If everyone in the United States throws away just one plastic toothbrush each year, this adds more than 300 million pieces of plastic to landfills.
Plastic takes hundreds of years to deteriorate. And since it’s recommended to get a new toothbrush once every three months, this turns into hundreds of toothbrushes that simply sit in landfills, polluting our air and water. An excellent eco-friendly choice is to swap your traditional toothbrush, which is petroleum-based, for a bamboo alternative that’s much more sustainably grown and easier to decompose.
Bamboo is a great alternative, as the material is naturally water repellent and antimicrobial, so you don’t need to worry about bacteria or mold growing on your brush. There are many options on the market to choose from; below, you’ll find the current top six that are worth your investment.
Top 5 Bamboo Toothbrushes
|① Hello Boo Bamboo Toothbrush **TOP PICK**|
|② GoWoo 100% Natural Soft Toothbrush|
|③ Avistar Eco-Friendly Bamboo Toothbrushes|
|④ Brush With Bamboo Plant-Based Toothbrush|
|⑤ KoolerThings Biodegradable Bamboo Toothbrush|
Features to Consider in Bamboo Toothbrushes
As you’re making a decision on which brand to purchase from, keep these important things in mind:
- Whether it’s BPA free. Make sure that both the bristles and the handle of the bamboo toothbrush are free of BPA, or bisphenol-A. This is a chemical that’s often in metal coatings and hard plastics, and it can introduce your body to unwanted hormones, especially if you put it in your mouth.
- Whether the packaging is eco-friendly. If you’re making the effort to purchase a toothbrush that’s plastic-free, it doesn’t make sense if it comes wrapped in plastic or in a box that’s not recyclable. One of the aspects to switching to bamboo is to reduce waste and pollution, so stay away from plastic shells, clear windows to boxes, and cellophane wrapping. All packaging should be biodegradable and recycled.
- Whether the bristles are all-natural. If you value a plant-based lifestyle and don’t want any animal products in your toothbrush whatsoever, you need to pay particular attention to what material the brush’s bristles are made from; sometimes, “sustainable” is just another word for “animal-based.” For example, some companies that are supposedly sustainable use pig hair to create their bristles, and they use this material rather than the traditional manufactured nylon. What’s particularly upsetting is that typically, these bristles made from hair come from Chinese farm-raised pigs. The bristles are a byproduct of the meat industry, and the way that the pigs are treated on Chinese farms is so far not known, although it’s likely negative. Many consumers aren’t even aware that they’re investing in brushes that contain hairs from those pigs, and unfortunately, this leads to the Chinese farms profiting from their cruelty to animals. Although it might be considered less sustainable, you should invest in a toothbrush that has bristles featuring nylon material. This way, you can be sure you’re not using anything that’s derived from animals.
- Where the nylon bristles are manufactured. Once you’ve settled on a brush that definitely is plant-based, you’ll need to pay attention as to where they nylon bristles of the brush were made, and what exact kind of nylon was used in order to create the bristles. A specific kind of nylon, Nylon 4, has been shown in laboratory research to degrade well over time. If you’d like to maintain your eco-friendly footprint, try to invest in toothbrushes that contain nylon 4 bristles, and if you’re doubtful, contact the company; they should be honest about their source. In the end, it pays off to know exactly what you’re getting, rather than investing your money in something that turns out to not be wholly sustainable.
- If charcoal is included. There are many bamboo toothbrushes that feature charcoal as their main ingredient within the bristles. Charcoal is another thing that has experienced a recent boost, as results have shown that charcoal is a great way to get natural, white, healthy teeth, and it supports your general wellness and health. Charcoal works very well in toothbrushes that are all-natural, because they take away any need to use strips, gels, or whitening trays that tend to be laden with harsh chemicals. Over time, prolonged use of these products can harm the enamel within your teeth. Charcoal is naturally powerful, as it has the ability to draw out tannins. These are the compounds in berries, tobacco, wine, tea, and coffee, the consumption of which often leads to teeth stains. Charcoal has natural, powerful absorption powers that draw out these stains, and in addition, it contains antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial properties that help freshen your breath, keep off cavities, and kill any bacteria that may be in your mouth. On top of all of this, it also removes plaque quite effectively. In combination with a strong, effective toothpaste, charcoal will keep your mouth fresh and clean.
While it’s tough to find a perfect, effective product that is indeed 100% natural, eco-friendly, and sustainable, bamboo toothbrushes are a great option to consider. You may need to get used to certain features, such as a bamboo smell and taste and bristles that tend to fall out more easily, but these toothbrushes are typically an excellent choice for the entire family to reduce your pollution footprint. For both the environment and your health, they’re worth it.
The Best Biodegradable Bamboo Toothbrush List
① Hello Boo Bamboo Toothbrush for Adults and Teenagers
This bamboo toothbrush from Hello Boo is perfect for both teenagers and adults. In each pack, you’ll get eight biodegradable toothbrushes that come in a variety of fun colors and have ergonomic handles, making them easy to hold and use. If you care both about environmental safety and your own oral hygiene, this is the perfect swap for a traditional plastic toothbrush. It’ll last as long, but will help to preserve the environment. Hello Boo’s toothbrushes are made from eco-friendly, 100% natural Moso bamboo, and the bristles are medium nylon so they’re gentle yet effective. Moso bamboo, in particular, is grown and harvested fast, and it’s able to repel water naturally. It’s also not a food source for pandas, so you don’t need to worry about depleting resources for animals. Instead of using a plastic brush that will take centuries to decompose, this bamboo one will take only a few months. If you change out your toothbrush every three months, this pack provides you with an impressive two years’ supply. The box is recyclable and prevents deadly pollutants from being released into the earth or air.
- Ergonomic handle makes it easy to hold and use
- Large pack will last you two years
- Uses Moso bamboo, which is water repellent and 100% natural
- The toothbrush has an odd, fishy smell once it’s been wet
- Large amount of bristles make it difficult to fit into some user’s mouths
② GoWoo 100% Natural Soft Toothbrush
GoWoo’s bamboo toothbrush is super soft and 100% natural. Its gentle nylon bristles come in unique rainbow colors, and the toothbrush is BPA-free, organic, eco-friendly, and biodegradable. You’ll get four brushes in one pack, each to help you achieve a clean and brighter smile. They were specially designed to provide you with a natural way to maintain your oral hygiene, and they freshen your breath, strengthen your enamel, and polish your teeth. This is a great choice for the whole family or makes a perfect gift for anyone who wants to live a greener and more eco-friendly life. You’ll have a positive effect both on your teeth and on the environment. The nylon bristles, which feature synthetic Nylon 4 that’s particularly resistant to microbial growth, were also designed to be especially soft, and they keep both your teeth and your gums healthy. The fun colors are provided by food coloring dye, which is safe and food grade. Overall, these toothbrushes are long lasting and durable, as they use sustainable and high quality bamboo wood, which is much stronger than regular wood and naturally water resistant. If you’re looking for a healthier and more eco-friendly alternative, this is it.
- Fun colors from food grade food dye
- Nylon 4 bristles feature material that is particularly resistant to microbial growth
- Good for both your teeth and your gums
- Brushes break easily at the head
- Some users felt that the bristles were too soft, to the point where they did not clean effectively
③ Avistar Eco-Friendly Bamboo Toothbrushes
With this purchase, you’ll get an impressive 20 count of Avistar’s bamboo toothbrushes, which are completely eco-friendly, BPA free, and very convenient to use. They come in four different beautiful colors, and they’re individually wrapped, so you can have a fresh brush once every three months. The handles were specifically designed to be easy to use and very sleek. They’ll feel like a traditional toothbrush in your hand, and you don’t need to worry about any clunkiness that’s difficult to hold onto. The bristles also don’t fall out easily like many other bamboo toothbrush brands. This makes the perfect travel toothbrush, whether you’re going on a camping trip, business trip, or long vacation; simply toss an individually-wrapped brush in your bag or car and conveniently take it on the go. No matter your reason for changing and needing new toothbrushes, Avistar aims to save you money while supporting your oral hygiene and helping to keep the planet cleaner and healthier. These brushes are of high quality and ensure that your experience is enjoyable, convenient, safe, and eco-friendly. Just organize them however you’d like to fit all of your needs.
- 2o pack will last you a very long time
- Individually wrapped, so they’re easy to take on the go
- Handle was designed to be easy and convenient to use
- Individual wrapping unfortunately includes plastic
- Texture of the handle was unpleasant for many users
④ Brush With Bamboo Plant-Based Bamboo Toothbrush
Brush with Bamboo’s toothbrushes help you do exactly what their name claims. Made for adults only, these plant-based toothbrushes feature an organic bamboo handle and unique plant-based packaging for the entire product as well. You’ll get four toothbrushes in each purchase, and each one lasts as long as traditional plastic toothbrushes, without the waste. The soft bristles are plant-based as well, as they’re made from a base of vegetable oil (62% castor bean). It’s made in the USA, certified organic, USA certified, vegan, BPA free, and Green America certified. The material is Certified 100% Organic Bamboo by CERES, a company located in Germany. If you’re looking for a brush that’s not only eco-friendly, but you’d also like something whose entire packaging is eco-friendly, this is the product for you: the box, wrapper, handle, and bristles are all plant-based and commercially compostable. Even the box is made from paper, and there is no glue or tape used.
- Plant-based bristles from castor bean oil
- Entire packaging is eco-friendly
- Certified 100% Organic Bamboo and Green America certified
- Bristles tend to fall out, even as you’re brushing your teeth
- Bristles are actually hard and not as advertised
⑤ KoolerThings Biodegradable Natural Charcoal Bamboo Toothbrush
KoolerThings’ bamboo toothbrush features natural charcoal to gently whiten your teeth and give you a squeaky-clean smile. You’ll get two packs of four of these biodegradable, BPA-free, compostable, vegan, organic, and natural brushes. KoolerThings believes in preventing unnecessary landfill use and is a leading company in helping the environment and going green. Their toothbrushes not only keep your teeth and mouth fresh, but they also make you feel good about your ecological impact. They’ll last as long as regular toothbrushes, and the 8-pack lasts a family of four for an entire year. The packaging is 100% biodegradable and recyclable, as it’s created from craft paper, and KoolerThings offers an 100% satisfaction guaranteed so you can get your money back if you don’t like the product. The bamboo handle is natural, smooth, and water resistant. It’s guaranteed to not splinter during use and is more durable than plastic. This toothbrush is a great solution to do your part in stopping pollution.
- Large pack; year’s supply or longer
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed
- Handle is particularly durable and smooth
- The two boxes come plastic wrapped together, which ruins the point of being eco friendly
- After a few uses, the bristles tend to smell odd/off
⑥ Isshah Biodegradable Eco-Friendly Natural Bamboo Charcoal Toothbrush
These natural bamboo toothbrushes by Isshah also feature charcoal for a fresh, deep clean, and a pack of four will last you for an entire year. Isshah believes that it’s easy to help out the environment and feel positive about the mark you leave behind, which is why it developed its line of natural toothbrushes; they’re an eco-friendly way to keep your mouth fresh. The bamboo handle is natural and smooth, yet was made to be more durable than plastic and much easier to clean; after you’re done brushing, just rinse the handle off. The entire package is biodegradable, so you can feel rest assured as you throw it away. Isshah also offers a 100% money back guarantee, as it loves this toothbrush and feels that you will too. If you’re looking to combat pollution, you can start with your hygiene and reduce your carbon footprint, using a high quality, well known design that replaces the need for any plastic. This bamboo toothbrush helps you brush better, and feel better, right away.
- Entire package is biodegradable
- Features charcoal for a deep and fresh clean
- Handle is easy to use and easy to clean
- Some users got splinters while they were brushing
- Causes small cuts and scrapes along the lips and tongue
Conclusion & What is the Best Bamboo Toothbrush
If you’re looking to make eco-friendly changes in your life, switching from a plastic toothbrush to a bamboo one is one of the most excellent choices you can make. After all, it’s the small changes that can add up to a big impact. By choosing toothbrushes that are earth-friendly, both in their handles and their bristles, and come in eco-friendly packaging, you can do your part to help improve the planet as you support both the environment and your own personal health.
By investing in bamboo toothbrushes, you’re sending a message that there is indeed a market for eco-friendly alternatives and that companies can make profits off of products that make a friendly impact on our planet. If your toothbrush is made from natural, organic, biodegradable bamboo and the bristles are developed from nylon 4 material, you’re taking a great step forward in sustainability. While making an impact may seem unlikely in today’s world, don’t select to do nothing: every small choice you make does indeed make a change. Consider the top six bamboo toothbrushes above, to get started on your selection and on your journey to living a more eco-friendly lifestyle.
Check out our favorite brand, Hello Boo (CHECK BEST PRICE HERE).