What is the Best Pea Protein Powder Supplement in 2020?
Thousands of peas per year are eaten all over the world, and it’s no surprise that plant-based protein derived from peas is one of the most popular types of protein powders on the market. It’s an excellent choice especially for people who would like to support their muscles and weight loss, yet adhere to a strict diet and need to make sure their protein powder doesn’t contain any animal-derived products.
When it comes to vegan protein powders, you’ll be faced with endless options, but the two biggest proteins that dominate the market are pea protein and soy protein, which are both excellent choices. However, for those who are allergic or have food sensitivities to soy, pea protein is the safest choice.
Top 5 Pea Protein Powders
|① Transparent LabsVegan Rice & Pea Protein **TOP PICK**
|② NAKED Nutrition 100% Pea Protein Powder
|③ NOW Foods Sports Nutrition Pea Protein Powder
|④ Source Organic Premium Pea Protein Isolate
|⑤ Designs for Health Pea Protein Powder
Pea protein powder is simply a powdered source of protein that’s extracted from yellow peas. It’s ideal for vegans and people with intolerances, and if you’re looking for an alternative to whey protein, it’s a great option. Many experts regard it as a high-quality protein source that naturally offers BCAA amino acids and iron, which additionally aid in building and preserving your muscles. Due to the high protein content and BCAAs, pea protein powder is a popular choice among people who go to the gym daily or have otherwise active lifestyles, especially if they’re attempting to gain muscles or lose weight.
In general, pea protein is regarded as a healthy and versatile supplement. It doesn’t contain any of the eight major allergen groups, is completely free from animal products, and is well known for being an appetite suppressant. This helps you feel full for a longer period of time after you’ve taken it; one study found that pea protein can reduce the intake of calories by as much as 12%, as long as it’s consumed within a half an hour before eating a meal. It’s easy to find the best pea protein powders on the market, whether you’re trying to gain muscle, lose weight, or simply support your vegan diet.
Features to Look For in Pea Protein Powders
As you browse your options, keep these features in mind in order to find the best pea protein:
- Organic. Although organic protein powder may be more expensive, it’s worth it; organic powders feature ingredients that haven’t been sprayed with pesticides or chemicals. Studies have found that switching to consuming organic foods can reduce the toxin levels within your body. Look for powders that are officially certified to be organic, especially by the USDA.
- Calorie amount. Check the amount of calories you’ll be getting for each gram of protein that the product offers. If you’re trying to lose weight or are practicing bodybuilding, it’s essential to keep track of your calories and get your intake right. Carefully consider the protein-calories ratio to decide whether investing in the pea protein powder will actually be beneficial for you–or if it’ll send you over your daily calorie count, which takes away the benefits of the powder in the first place.
- Flavor. If you’re looking for a protein powder to add to foods as you’re cooking or baking, it’s best to invest in a powder that’s unflavored, so you don’t ruin the taste of the food. But if you enjoy drinking post-workout shakes or smoothies, a flavored powder may be your best bet, so check the reviews to see what users think about the taste.
The Best Pea Protein Powder List
① Transparent Labs ProteinSeries Organic Vegan Rice and Pea Protein
This protein from Transparent Labs is completely vegan, features a 2:1 pea and rice protein ratio, and is available in either a chocolate or vanilla flavor. Not only is it free of any artificial sweeteners or flavoring, but it’s also certified organic by the USDA, and is an excellent option for people adhering to the vegan diet and for anyone who would like to optimize their health, as it’s a great source of both fiber and protein. On top of getting an impressive 24 grams of protein in just a single serving, Transparent Labs also provides four grams of fiber, so you get a protein punch that’s also easy on your digestive system. It’s recommended that you take this protein powder as soon as you’re done working out to support fat loss and support your muscles. Take 1-3 scoops each day, and mix with coffee, water, almond milk, milk, or your favorite smoothie.
- Offers 24 grams of protein per serving
- Contains four grams of fiber per serving, so is easy on your digestive system
- Easy to take after a workout to support your muscles and fat loss
- Some users believed the vanilla flavor did not taste good
- Zippers of the bag easily break, making powder fly everywhere
**Use Coupon Code CL10 to save 10% at checkout!
② NAKED Nutrition 100% Pea Protein Powder
NAKED Nutrition’s protein powder features just one ingredient: 100% yellow pea protein isolate, which is vegan and doesn’t contain any additives. The powder comes from North American farms, is easy to digest, and helps speed your muscle recovery when you’re done working out. It also has zero artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners, and is GMO, soy, and gluten free. A serving is packed with protein at 27 grams of protein. You’ll also get almost six grams of BCAAs, which also aid muscle recovery and growth, in each serving–all for just 120 calories. This helps you achieve maximum recovery and muscle gains that are clean. The peas are from environmentally friendly farms in the USA and Canada, and a chemical-free extraction process is involved. Simply add this powder to smoothies, shakes, or water for a post workout drink. You can even add it to sauces and other food recipes.
- Impressive 27 grams of protein per serving
- Offers BCAAs to aid in muscle growth and recovery
- Features just one, pure ingredient
- Can cause allergic reactions
- Even though powder is unflavored, users disliked the taste that came through
③ NOW Foods Sports Nutrition Pea Protein Powder
This pea protein powder from NOW Sports Nutrition is unflavored, has a smooth texture, and mixes easily for a great post workout drink. NOW Foods is a family operated and owned company that’s been in operation since 1968, and they package all their products in the USA. Their pea protein powder has just one ingredient: non-GMO pea protein isolate from yellow peas. Each serving provides 24 grams of protein that is easily digestible, and contains more than 4,000 mg of BCAAs, as well as more than 2,000 mg of arginine. NOW employs quality technicians who use analytical instruments to review finished products and individual ingredients. This protein powder is both Informed-Sport and Informed-Choice, which indicates that it has been tested for banned substances through annual blind samples, and it has additionally been certified to be free of these banned substances.
- One ingredient provides 24 grams of protein per serving
- Offers BCAAs and arginine in particular
- Both Informed-Sport and Informed-Choice certified
- May cause diarrhea and other gastrointestinal issues
- Difficult to mix completely, leaving a gritty texture
④ Source Organic Premium Pea Protein Isolate
Source Organic’s protein features premium pea isolate, and is 100% organic and vegan. The powder comes in bulk and is unflavored, making it the perfect addition to food recipes such as baked goods and morning breakfast foods like oatmeal, yogurt, and eggs so you get a protein boost that prepares you for the day. It has just one ingredient: pea protein isolate from organic yellow peas, sourced only from organic Canadian farms. In each serving, you’ll get more than two grams of arginine, almost five grams of BCAAs, and 22 grams of protein. This will help you recover from your workouts, build lean muscle, and support fat loss–all without allergens, added sugars, colors, or flavors. Source Organic processes its peas without any enzymes or hexane, so you get organic protein with an impressive amino acid profile. On top of this, it’s a great source of iron and is third party tested.
- Five grams of BCAAs per serving, impressive amino acid profile
- Third party tested for quality and purity
- 22 grams of protein per serving from just one clean ingredient
- Spoils/goes bad relatively quickly
- Users felt that it had a chemical, chalky texture
⑤ Designs for Health Pea Protein Powder
Designs for Health’s protein features PurePea Vanilla, a non-GMO yellow pea protein with a tasty vanilla flavor that offers 20 grams of vegan protein per serving. The natural pea protein isolate is easy to digest due to its high tolerability and bioavailability, and it’s low-allergen, making it a safe alternative for people with allergies or sensitivities to lactose or whey protein. Designs for Health uses only raw yellow peas that are grown in North America, which are produced using a natural fermentation process so there are no chemical solvents involved whatsoever. These high standards bring better results with high quality, pure ingredients to help vegans get muscle gains. In fact, physicians often recommend Designs for Health as a strength supplement, especially for those who are looking for vegan and raw ingredients that offer functional and nutritional benefits.
- High bioavailability and tolerability
- Natural fermentation process ensures there are no chemicals
- Additionally a good source of iron and calcium
- Unfortunately has high levels of lead contamination
- Users thought the taste was overly sweet
⑥ Nature’s Sunshine Love and Peas Vegan Protein Powder
Nature’s Sunshine protein powder contains natural pea protein, as well as other whole foods and nutrients that are nourishing and exactly what your body needs to receive full health support. Each serving offers 20 grams of high quality vegan protein powder, at just 19 calories–making this the perfect addition to your wellness routine if you’re looking to burn fat or maintain weight. It’s completely Vegan Certified, which Nature’s Sunshine is proud to receive, as it had to adhere to strict manufacturing and ingredient controls in order to become certified. The powder is also allergen free as it contains zero gluten, lactose, or dairy, and it offers a balanced amino acid profile with BCAAs so you can build and maintain lean muscle mass more easily than ever. With an added health blend that features pea protein isolate, minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, and beneficial fats from borage oil and flax seed, this powder can function as a full meal replacement shake.
- Offers whole foods
- Functions as a meal replacement shake with protein, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fats
- Very low in calories
- Ingredient list is very extensive and contains artificial preservatives and flavoring
- Can cause digestive distress
⑦ Smart 138 100% Pure Pea Protein Powder
This ultra-smooth protein powder from Smart 138 features 100% pure peas that are free of any gluten, soy, dairy, or GMOs. With just one ingredient–100% smooth texture yellow pea protein–there is absolutely nothing added and you get a great amino acid profile with BCAAs that are naturally occurring. Smart 138 uses raw yellow peas from Canada, which are also processed in Canada (not China like some other companies do), and then the resulting product is delivered to the USA for packaging. The protein is unflavored and was designed to be mixed in with other foods or liquids, so it’s great when you add it to pudding, breakfast foods, pudding, or your morning coffee. In each serving, you’ll get an impressive 27 grams of protein and just over six grams of BCAAs for a complete amino acid profile, with no added sugars or artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners. Overall, it was designed for health conscious people who need a boost of protein to their drinks and foods. Just add one scoop, once a day to build muscles.
- Has 27 grams of protein per serving
- Designed to be added to foods and drinks for a protein boost
- Offers great amino acid profile
- Processed in a facility that also processes eggs, coconuts, milk, wheat, soy, peanuts, and tree nuts
- Clumps easily when mixed with liquid
⑧ Micro Ingredients Organic Pea Protein Powder
Micro Ingredients’ protein comes from organic peas and is rich in essential amino acids, easy to mix and digest, non-GMO, and offers flavonoids and minerals. Its isolate pea protein is rich in antioxidants, natural fiber, and fatty acids, which support your whole health and increase bioavailability. Overall the powder promotes your endurance, enhances your strength, and increases stamina, so you gain muscles and get as much as you can from your workouts. You’ll also get stronger muscle recovery, immunity, and energy. As a dietary supplement, take 100mg to 250mg of this powder one to three times each day, ideally after you work out. A scoop is included so it’s easy to measure out each serving and match it to your needs. You can also take it daily by adding it to a nutrient-dense, superfood smoothie or shake. All of this is available to you with no gluten, fillers, soy, artificial colors or flavors, GMOs, or preservatives.
- Scoop included so you can measure out the perfect amount
- Offers minerals and flavonoids
- Enhances endurance, strength, muscles, and stamina
- Can cause digestive distress
- May contain traces of heavy metals such as lead
⑨ BulkSupplements Pea Protein Powder
This pea protein powder from Bulk Supplements is a great choice for people who would like to invest in vegan protein at a cheaper price so they don’t waste their investment. This powder is completely pure and clean, without any fillers, and it’s lab tested by third parties for guaranteed purity and verification. The foil pouch is factory sealed and features a zippered opening, so it’s easy to open and close and keep so the powder remains fresh. The powder is full of amino acids and low in fat and carbohydrates, which helps to curb your appetite, builds muscle, and supports your whole health. Within thirty minutes of completing a workout, it’s best to take this to achieve a fitter and stronger physique. This protein is free of any animal products, lactose, gluten, or soy, and is a popular vegan alternative to whey-based proteins for many people. Just take 30 grams each day to get benefits, blended into either a smoothie, some juice, or some water.
- Third party lab tested for purity and quality
- Inexpensive investment
- Strengthens and builds muscle, aids in weight loss, and curbs appetite
- In some cases had a rancid smell
- Very chalky texture even when mixed for a while
⑩ Sunwarrior Vegan Protein Warrior Blend
Sunwarrior’s pea protein features a vegan warrior blend that’s plant based and raw, with both peas and hemp that comes in a tasty vanilla flavor and a month’s supply. It helps to unlock the warrior that’s waiting within you, and is ideal for people who would like to build as much muscle as possible, and would like to amplify their fitness levels so they gain lean muscle and lose weight. The raw powder is full of rich protein sources that are completely plant-based, such as goji berries, hemp seeds, and legumes, all to fuel your active lifestyle. On top of this, the blend includes MCTs from coconuts, which help you absorb the protein powder and provide a boost to your ability to burn fat. It’s also free of gluten, sugar, GMOs, soy, or dairy, and it’s certified to be both vegan and organic. A scoop is built into the lid for ultimate convenience so you get the perfect amount every time, then simply add it to your favorite beverage and mix for easy prep. Featured ingredients include yellow peas, goji berries, coconut, and hemp seeds.
- Protein from several raw, organic sources
- Contains MCTs from coconuts, which aid your ability to burn fat
- Scoop built into the lid
- Many users disliked the taste
- Texture is chalky and grainy
Conclusion & What is the Best Pea Protein Powder
Pea protein is an excellent choice for vegans and in general. It helps to build muscles, maintain weight loss, and curb appetite, all while being free of any animal-derived products and free from allergens. For anyone who’s adhering to a plant-based diet, or for people who have sensitivities to lactose or whey, pea protein is a great investment. On top of this, pea-based protein naturally helps to suppress cravings, so you can lose weight and achieve all your fitness goals without going hungry. To curb appetite, it’s recommended to consume pea protein about half an hour before you consume a meal.
This type of protein is also popular in the fitness world and is used by many bodybuilders and gym-goers. Peas naturally offer lots of iron and amino acids, which additionally support your exercise and function as building blocks for protein. Peas contain L-arginine in particular, which outweighs the performance of traditional whey protein when it comes to building muscles. Pea protein powder is available in a wide variety of flavors, so you’ll be able to find the best for your intentions and your lifestyle. Take a look at the best pea protein powders above to get started.
The winner for us is Transparent Labs Pea Protein (CHECK BEST PRICE HERE) and use coupon code CL10 to save 10% at checkout.
Are There Any Side Effects to Pea Protein Powder?
If you’re concerned about the negative aspects of pea protein powder, it’s important to be aware that it may:
- Contain a high amount of sodium. Pea protein tends to contain 100-400mg of sodium per serving, so if you’re monitoring your intake of sodium, this is something to look out for.
- Cause gout flare-ups. Split peas contain purines, and when this is consumed, it can lead to an increase of uric acid within your body. If you’ve had a previous history of gout, uric acid can lead to flare-ups. While this isn’t something you typically have to worry about, it’s worthy to pay attention to.
- Create issues with kidneys. It’s believed that consuming too much protein can have an adverse effect, leading to your kidneys being unable to function properly. However, this belief is so far unconfirmed, and it applies to all forms of protein, not just pea protein. Generally, you don’t need to worry about hurting your kidneys by consuming pea protein.
Adverse side effects are rare, and if you do experience any, consult your doctor.