What is the Best Vegan Protein Powder? Top-Rated Plant-Based Brands Review for 2019
Vegans know better than anyone that it’s essential to get enough protein. Since the vegan diet requires a focus on plant-based foods, many vegans face the same question over and over of how it’s possible to continue getting enough protein. Luckily, it’s easy–and whether you find yourself on the go often or need something to support your workouts, vegan protein powders are an excellent product to help you meet your nutritional requirements.
While there is a stigma that vegan protein powders don’t help you feel full, provide amino acids, or contain enough protein, all of these are misconceptions. In many protein powders, you’ll find 20-30 grams of protein per serving, as well as essential amino acids and other ingredients that keep you satiated. Vegan protein powder also tends to come with lots of fiber and probiotics, which help you digest the product and gives a boost to overall digestive health.
This leaves one question: How do they taste? Recently, protein powder companies have developed vegan products that come in more than just vanilla or chocolate. You’ll find berry, coconut, salted caramel, and more flavors, all of which mix easily and feature protein from rice, peas, hemp, and chia seeds. To get the most from your vegan protein powder, add it to your smoothies, coffee, or favorite milk. You can even use it for baking. To get a head start, check out the top ten vegan protein powders, listed below.
Top 5 Vegan Protein Powders
The Best Vegan Protein Powder
#1: Transparent Labs Protein Series Organic Vegan Powder
This vegan powder from Transparent Labs’ protein series stands out with its protein base ratio of two parts rice protein to one part pea protein. The product is USDA Organic Certified, 100% vegan, and provides a punch of protein with 24 grams per serving. On top of a delicious, gritty texture, the powder is also easy to digest with an impressive 4 grams of fiber within each serving.
Due to this great combination of fiber and protein, Transparent Labs functions as a great source not only for people on the vegan diet, but for consumers who are interested in optimizing their overall health as well. It’s highly recommended that you take this product right after you’re done working out for maximum effect, especially if you are aiming to support fat loss. Mix it with water, almond milk, and even coffee for a creamy and thick drink.
- Contains zero artificial sweeteners, flavoring, colorings, or preservatives
- Certified organic and 100% vegan
- Provides a boost of protein alongside fiber, which makes this product easy to digest
- Can be very messy to handle
- Users enjoyed the chocolate flavor, while many disliked the vanilla flavor and said it did not taste like vanilla at all
#2: NAKED Nutrition 100% Pea Protein Powder
This five-pound jar of NAKED Nutrition’s pea protein powder is easy to digest and aids you with your muscle recovery after your workouts. Created with one, simple ingredient, this product is among the cleanest vegan protein powders you’ll find on the market with 100% raw yellow pea protein. Its peas are grown on farms that are environmentally friendly and located in Canada and the USA.
There are zero additives, soy, gluten, GMOs, colors, flavors, or sweeteners; you know exactly what you’re getting and exactly what you’re putting in your body. Packed with 27 grams of protein, 5.7 grams of branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs), and just 2 grams of carbs, you can create pure pea protein smoothies, green drinks, and shakes. It makes providing your body with vegan protein easier than ever.
- Impressive 27 grams of protein
- Made from a single, simple ingredient: raw yellow pea protein
- Supports a clean diet, clean muscle gains, clean muscle recovery, and vegan lifestyle
- The taste is very inconsistent; users enjoyed their first purchase then had a hard time stomaching their second purchase, and this is a consistent problem for the brand
- Powder has a very salty and sandy texture no matter how it’s mixed
#3: KOS Organic Raw Organic Vegan Protein Blend
KOS is a company known for its delicious flavors, simple ingredients, and healthy mix of macronutrients. It’s tough to go wrong with an ingredient list that includes organic cacao from Peru, Himalayan pink salt, pea protein, pumpkin seeds, quinoa, coconut milk, and monk fruit. Its vegan blend features 20 grams of protein, 6 grams of healthy fats, low sugars, antioxidants, and vitamins and minerals, all of which support a healthy, vegan lifestyle as you ensure you get all the nutrients you need.
You’ll also experience a unique blend of five proteins from chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seed, quinoa, and peas. Each ingredient is USDA organic, and the product is completely free of dairy, soy, and gluten. On top of all that, digestive enzymes and healthy fibers are included so you digest this protein powder simply and easily. Add two scoops to water, your favorite smoothie, or to a snack you’re baking for a delicious snack.
- Blend of 20 grams of protein, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and healthy fats to function as a complete supplement for a healthy lifestyle
- Not just tasty as a drink; can also be used in baking
- Includes digestive enzymes and healthy fibers to support digestive health
- Unsafe for consumers who have tree nut allergies
- Texture is grainy and leaves a bad aftertaste
#4: Vega Sport Premium Vegan Protein Powder
This purchase gives you twenty servings of this popular vegan protein powder by Vega Sport. Packed with an impressive 30 grams of protein, this powder also contains glutamic acid, BCAAs, turmeric extract, cherries, and 2 billion CFU probiotics. You’ll get a boost to your overall health as you maintain your macronutrient needs. Its plant-based protein blend is derived from alfalfa, sunflower seed, pumpkin seed, and peas.
The powder has been certified as an Informed Choice for athletes, certified vegan, and certified to be free of gluten, GMOs, and artificial sweeteners, colors, or flavors. This protein powder is excellent for recovering when you’re done working out and is available in four great flavors: vanilla, mocha, chocolate, and berry. Simply add a scoop to your favorite liquid for a great on the go post-workout shake.
- Contains an impressive 30 grams of protein
- Ideal for people who are looking for aid in muscle building and recovery
- Also contains amino acids, turmeric, and probiotics
- Not free from allergies; is manufactured in a facility that processes tree nuts, eggs, soy, dairy, and peanuts
- Powder does contain traces of heavy metals
#5: Garden of Life Sport Organic Plant-Based Protein Powder
Garden of Life has worked had to provide you with organic protein that powers you through all your sports and athletic needs. Its protein is certified by the USDA to be organic, is Informed Choice certified, and certified to be free of GMOs, gluten, soy, added sugars, and dairy. Add a few scoops to water or your favorite milk to have it function as an excellent post-workout recovery drink that helps you repair muscles and refuel. It contains 30 grams of complete protein, glutamic acid, glutamine, and more than five grams of BCAAs.
You’ll get faster recovery with ingredients such as blueberries, gogi berries, turmeric, apples, and cherries, and the boost of amino acids provides much-needed support for your immune system as well. You can rest easy knowing that this vegan protein powder is completely clean and free of any banned substances–which is very essential for athletes–and the certifications Garden of Life has received are from third parties.
- Contains 30 grams of complete protein
- Essential amino acids provide a boost for your immune system
- Features an organic blend for muscle recovery
- Powder tends to settle at the bottom; will have to constantly shake your drink
- Has a chalky, grainy texture
#6: PlantVital Plant Based Complete Protein Supplement
This protein powder by Plant Vital provides you with 18 superfoods, including spirulina, beets, and kale. With essential probiotics and BCAAs, it’s completely organic, vegan, and free of gluten and GMOs. It was created specifically for clean eaters who are looking for a pure, unflavored protein powder derived from complete plants that’s free from sugars and additives. Plant Vital has held itself to aiming to be better than other superfoods and greens products, and is devoted to providing you with products that contain zero thickeners, binders, sweeteners, guar gum, artificial flavors, or stevia.
With this product, you can rest assured that you’re providing your body with 24 grams of pure protein, as well as 9 grams of amino acids, B12, glutamic acid, and 1 billion CPU probiotics. Third party testing and certifications ensure that this product holds up to the hype. Plant Vital gives you a lifetime guarantee on your purchase so you can see for yourself.
- Created from 18 clean, superfood ingredients
- Boosts performance, supports lean muscle, and aids in sleep
- Free from additives, sugars, thickeners, or artificial flavors
- Difficult to withstand the unflavored taste; many users recommend that you mix this into smoothies or shakes and avoid adding it to just water or milk
- Chalky texture is difficult to blend
#7: Truvani Plant Based Protein Powder
This powder by Truvani is the perfect choice if you’d like to refuel after your workouts and focus on rebuilding your muscles with 20 grams of protein. It features just five simple, premium ingredients: luo han guo, vanilla powder, pumpkin seed protein, chia seed protein, and pea protein. Each ingredient was hand selected and carefully ensured to be free from preservatives, additive, and fillers. Thanks to these ingredients, the powder not only works, but it’s also delicious and low in carbs.
The product is certified USDA organic and vegan friendly, and it’s Stevia Free, which means that you get a pure and clean product–simple as that. Your muscles receive a complete amino acid profile, which helps maintain your lean muscles and functions as a clean, healthy protein supplement. This is how Truvani’s powder functions as an excellent post-workout shake. It even comes with a 100% money back guarantee, showing that the company has faith in what it produces, and it has passed the 65 Heavy Metal Test so you can rest assured you’re taking in healthy protein.
- USDA certified organic with zero additives, fillers, or preservatives
- Features five simple, pure ingredients
- Functions well as a post workout shake and supports lean, healthy muscles as it curbs cravings
- Has an unfortunate, strong aftertaste
- Often causes gastrointestinal upset
#8: Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Vegan Protein Powder
With this purchase, you get more than one and a half pounds of Optimum Nutrition’s gold standard protein powder, which is 100% vegan and organic. Choose from vanilla, chocolate, and berry to get 24 grams of protein that’s organic, plant based, and complete. Its protein is sourced from a blend of peas, rice, and Sacha Inchi, and it also features an all-grain complex that includes chia, millet, quinoa, buckwheat, and amaranth. You also get a complete amino acid profile, which supports your muscle recovery, and the product is completely free of artificial sweeteners, colors, or flavors.
On top of all of this, you get 4 grams of BCAAs and 100% of your daily value of Vitamin C. This protein powder is excellent for people who are active and care about what they put into their bodies. If you’re concerned about your nutrients and where they come from, this is the product for you. Add to your favorite liquid or mix it into your favorite recipe. It’s best to take this product either before or after exercise.
- 24 grams of protein that is 100% vegan and organic
- Blend of protein and all-grain complex
- Includes essential amino acids, vitamins, and minerals
- Consistency is gritty
- Sweetener (stevia) is very overwhelming for many users
#9: Ora Organic Vegan Protein Powder
With Ora Organic, your plant-based protein source is completely delicious, vegan, and USDA certified organic. You’ll get 21 grams of lean and clean protein with no dairy, gluten, or added sugars. It’s easy to not only mix into your smoothie but bake into healthy snacks as well. It’s delicious and very easy to digest with included digestive enzymes that were carefully selected to aid in your digestion.
In every scoop, you’ll get two servings of greens, which provide you with extra electrolytes and micronutrients, essential aspects to any vegan’s diet. The powder also contains a low amount of carbs at just 4 grams, and there is no added sugar, so you get an excellent protein to carb ratio without sacrificing any nutrients or flavor. With organic monkfruit and stevia, natural sweeteners, you’ll also experience a full flavor without any bad aftertaste. Ora Organic believes in its product and gives you a money back guarantee.
- Includes digestive enzymes to reduce bloat and be easy on the stomach
- Two servings of greens in each serving, which provide additional electrolytes and micronutrients
- Excellent protein to carbs ratio
- Does not mix very well; users experienced a sludge at the bottom of their drink
- May leave an odd coating in the mouth
#10: EarthChimp Vegan Protein Powder
With EarthChimp, you’ll get an entire two pounds of this plant-based protein powder that contains organic fruits and vegetables, superfoods, and probiotics, all without any added sugar, gluten, GMOs, or dairy. Made in Ireland with a money back guarantee, this protein powder is full of goodness and packed with ingredients such as cinnamon, turmeric, flax, and baobab. It avoids tasting artificial or overly sweet with a natural flavor, and overall is easy on your stomach with zero dairy and 1 billion probiotics included.
There’s no gums or soya added, either–absolutely no ingredients that you wouldn’t feel good about. With 20 grams of complete protein, it’s easy to incorporate this powder into your diet, whether you make a shake for work, a breakfast smoothie, or develop something for your post-workout recovery.
- Contains superfoods, probiotics, fiber, minerals, and vitamins
- No dairy, gluten, added sugar, or artificial ingredients
- Money back guarantee
- Some users experienced bad digestive and bloating issues after consumption
- Upon mixing, an odd foam is created
Conclusion & What is the Best Vegan Protein Powder
Protein powder is a popular supplement on the health and wellness market. If you’re vegan, you need to take care to ensure the protein in your powder is completely plant-based and 100% vegan. Take care to choose a vegan brand so you can find an easy way to provide a boost to your protein content; vegans especially need to maintain their protein levels so they can continue to live a healthy lifestyle.
That’s why our favorite is the Transparent Labs Vegan Protein Powder (CHECK BEST PRICE HERE).
Look for powders that combine protein sources such as rice and peas, and products that include essential vitamins and minerals are very beneficial. Probiotics ensure that the whole thing goes down easily, and third-party testing and certification lets you know that the company’s claims have been verified. Vegan protein powders are an excellent addition to your diet–and it’s easy to get started by taking a look at our top ten, outlined above.